Official Showcase Application
May 1, 2019: Official Showcase applications open
July 15, 2019 5pm CT: Official Showcase applications close
August 26, 2019: Official Showcase Artists notified
September 5, 2019: Official Showcase Artists announced publicly
September 23, 2019: Official Showcase Artists scheduled
Membership is not required to submit an application. All selected artists and accompanying musicians are required to be paid registrants of the conference.
All non-USA artists must be legally able to enter the United States and are responsible for acquiring all necessary travel permits including visas when necessary.
INELIGIBLE: Artists who had an Official Showcase in 2018 and a second Official Showcase in 2019 are not eligible to apply in 2020. The only exception to this rule is for artists who are asked during the week of the conference to fill a last minute cancelation. They may still arrange Private Showcases in 2020 and are welcome to reapply for an Official Showcase for the 2021 conference. This policy ensures turnover and access to Official Showcases for our wide community of established and emerging artists.
In order not to compete with Folk Alliance International Official Showcases, and to maximize the community and career impact of presenter and industry attendance on-site, artists selected for an Official Showcase or as Music Camp instructors are not permitted to perform concerts within a 24 kilometer (15 mile) radius of the conference hotel between the hours of 4pm – 3am, January 22-26, 2019.
- This clause does not restrict Private Showcases at the conference, radio performances, media interviews, or in-store signings.
- Off-site events (within the above conference dates/times/distance) cannot be promoted in any advance communication to the FAI delegate list or in any on-site branding, advertising, announcements, or activity.
- Any use of the Folk Alliance International name or logo (in relation to an off-site event) must be approved in writing by FAI in advance of all events and promotion.
Official Showcase Application Fee
May 1, 2019 – May 31, 2019
FAI members $12.50, non-members $25
June 1, 2019 – July 15, 2019
FAI members $25, non-members $50
Official Showcase application fees are non-refundable.
What You’ll Need to Complete the Application
- Credit card for application fee
- Contact information for the artist and all representation
- 50-word bio (3rd-person)
- Two different artist/band headshot photos (300dpi, color)
- Link to 1-2 audio files (note: the jury cannot review downloads, Dropbox or Google Drive files)
- Link to 1 video of a live performance of the proposed showcase format
- 2019/20 desired touring territory
- Link to highest profile media review received in the last 2 years
- Awards & recognition within the last 2 years
- Names/roles of all band members
- Stage plot (.pdf)
Download a sample application here. This printable copy of the online Official Showcase application is for preparation purposes only. FAI will only accept applications that are paid for and submitted online, NO MAIL-IN APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Click here to view the jury scoring criteria.