EU Creative Arts workers entry to the UK – latest information, January 2021 – and it’s not such bad news in terms of entry for work for them.

Now that the UK has agreed a deal with the EU we now have the following position, and all supporting information can be found at this official govt website link:
EU citizens will be treated as third country nationals and we now know that for visits for up to 90 days a simple CoS (Certificate of Sponsorship) will be enough!
Upon entry to the UK the artists in question MUST present themselves to an immigration official NOT through the E gates and present the CoS, plus evidence of being able to support yourself whilst in the country, plus get their passport stamped. If you do not have your passport stamped you may be considered to be working illegally in the UK and will risk deportation.

Please note these two essential extracts from the webpage (link above)
Temporary Worker – Creative and Sporting visa (T5) concession
You can enter the UK without applying for a visa in advance if you:

  • have a valid Temporary Worker – Creative and Sporting visa (T5) Certificate of Sponsorship
  • are coming to work in the UK for 3 months or less
  • do not normally need a visa to enter the UK as a visitor

You must still meet the Temporary Worker – Creative and Sporting visa (T5) eligibility criteria.
Money to support yourself
You must have at least £1,270 in your bank account to show you can support yourself in the UK.
You will need to have had the money available for at least 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of applying for this visa.
You’ll usually need to show proof of this when you apply, unless either:

  • you’ve been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months
  • your employer can cover your costs during your first month in the UK, up to £1,270

So here you now have it, as long as your employer can attest to covering costs at £1270 per person in the form of a letter and you have a CoS plus contract copies all should be fine.
PLEASE NOTE CoS issuers in the UK can be any registered Sponsor, as I have been for many years – and as has my colleague Mark Ringwood. Many venues and festivals will not be registered. Also a CoS can be single entry OR multiple entry – ask your Sponsor if you need multiple entry.
Your agents/manager should be able to source someone to sponsor you and supply a CoS. Costs vary but are not in any way comparable with the costs for applying for Visas.
A Sponsor can only be UK-based.

Please note also if you wish to come into the UK for work for a longer time than 90 days as a third country national then the route is via the Tier 5 creative and Sporting visa which requires both a CoS and an additional payment.
Details and reference link to gov website here:
The application fee for each person applying is £244.
The fee is the same whether you’re applying from inside or outside the UK.
If you’re from an eligible country
Your application fee will be automatically reduced by £55 if you’re from one of the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden or Turkey.

NOTE: You can also enter the UK through the Permitted Paid Engagement route – also known as PPE. A CoS is not required for this but in order to be eligible you need to be recognised as an expert in your field. You can only work for one month. A number of UK Festivals and Prime Venues operate this option and can advise upon what is required.

Ian Smith / Mark Ringwood for UKEARTSWORK